Friday, August 13, 2010

Ladies Rock Camp

I had an amazing three days at Ladies Rock Camp in Brooklyn last week. Each day we'd work on our individual instruments (I'd chosen bass), then have lunch and a workshop (songwriting, musicial critique, band art, and self-defense), and finish out the day with band practice.

We called our band Pretty Little Heads. In the 2 1/2 afternoons that we had together, we wrote the music and lyrics to a song ("Double-Talker") and prepared for our live performance. None of us had ever played instruments before. It was even our vocalist's first time to sing in public. I was so proud of our band. We rocked!




We decided that our band's style was "The Supremes with bit of punk thrown in." Here are some photos that we took right before our first gig at The Knitting Factory. We all thought they would make some rockin' album inserts. (Check out our band's logo. As part of the camp, we screen-printed our shirts.)
Casson (drums)
Jessi (guitar)
Courtney (vocals)
Yours Truly (bass)




The performance was awesome. I only wish they'd let us play/we knew how to play more than one song. Once I was finally comfortable on stage, it was time to go!











What an awesome experience! I met so many wonderful people, stepped out of my comfort zone, and found a new hobby. I thought I'd be totally frustrated with the bass the whole weekend, but I really felt like it was something I could do. When I got home, Jason had a bass waiting for me! Now, I've just got to find the time to practice!

1 comment:

The Long Family said...

How did you find out about this? You do some great things!