Friday, December 12, 2008

Grandma Howell's Hair-Braiding Chair

When I was small, my mother would take me by my great-grandmother's house for her to braid my hair (or plat it, as Grandma would say). I would sit on the same chair each time. This summer, I mentioned the chair to my uncle, saying I wish that someone had saved it. He told me he thought it was in my great-grandpa's old barn. I went to check, and there it was! I cleaned it up, and my dad helped me recover it. I regret that I didn't take a "before" picture. I did take one after we'd started. I'm so proud of it, and I know Grandma would have loved it. I hope to be braiding Anne Parks hair soon (if I can get her to sit still).

The back and the seat were in pretty bad shape.

The final product:

Grandma, Grandpa, and me after my high school graduation. I believe it's the last picture I have of the three of us. They were two of the sweetest people I've ever known.

4 comments:

Darby said...

What fun! I love sweet memories like this... the chair looks great and would be a great hair cutting chair too! Hope you're feeling well... will you find out what #2 it?

The Long Family said...

That is so neat!!!

LT (and Max) said...

how special! thanks for sharing!

Bonnie Tyrone said...

Laura,
That was such a neat story, my grandmother called it "platting" as well, she still calls it that! I also must point out how fabulous you hair looks in this picture, I have never seen it quite that big, you look like you should be one of my sisters, we always had BIG hair, my mom's motto was the higher the hair, the closer to God! I hope you are feeling well, keep me posted!