Sunday, April 20, 2008

Be Sweet and Mind Your Business!

L.V. Hull, a Mississippi folk-artist from Kosciusko and friend of the family, passed away recently. Some of you have gone with me on tours of her wonderful, crazy house. Just driving by her yard could brighten your day. I'm saddened to think of what might happen to that yard.


Those of you who have known me for a while have undoubtedly seen some of my L.V. Hull art. I have some small pieces that I use for Christmas tree ornaments and some others scattered about, but by far, my favorite is a sign that reads,

"If you are going to walk on thin ice, you might...
(then you have to turn the sign over to read the rest)...as well dance. Mind your business."

What I found fun and endearing about L.V. and her artwork is that on every piece, she'd add a "command" of sorts, like "be sweet" or "mind your business" somewhere on the piece. She was also sure to include her name, the fact that she was an artist, her city, and her zip code. Her simplicity, wisdom, and cheerful creativity will be greatly missed.




Click here more information about L.V. Hull and here for more pictures of her home.

1 comment:

Heather said...

she passed away? I am so sad! Trey and I have several pieces. My favorite being a plate that says (without any spacing) TAKETIMETOPRAY on the front and the kosciusko zip code on the back.
We loved going there.

PS - Ann Parks is precious